Santa Fe HDR Field Photography Workshop and Digital Darkroom Boot Camp 2012
September 26 - 30, 2012
Santa Fe & Taos, New Mexico
Matt Suess & Christine Hauber
Study with them for two days, three days, or all five.
For five days during the last week in September, Matt Suess and Christine Hauber will be teaching both a field workshop and a digital darkroom boot-camp in one of the most beautiful and historic areas of New Mexico in Santa Fe and Taos.
Join them for the 3-day field workshop (limited to 8 students) or the digital darkroom boot-camp (limited to 30 students), or attend both.
"Frontier Gas Station" - New Mexico
You will have the chance to photograph this HDR friendly location.
This is the second consecutive year they have offered this workshop. The 2011 workshop was a three day event. For 2012 they have extended it 2 extra days to five to allow more time for photography as well as more time in the classroom learning how to perfect your images.
3-Day Field Workshop
Limited to 8 students
Sept 26 - 28, 2012
For three days you will photograph in and around beautiful Santa Fe and Taos. Most locations you will be going to are extremely well-suited to photographing in HDR.
HDR stands for High Dynamic Range - or as Matt likes to say - Highly Dramatic Results. By combining multiple exposures of the same shot, it allows one to create an image with more dynamic range, more detail in the shadows and highlights, and ultimately more dramatic results. It also allows us to get natural or "artistic" results and we will teach you both ways.
Christine has some fun with a workshop student
During this 3-day field workshop Matt and Christine will be hands-on teaching how to determine how many exposures to take and how much to bracket by for, how to compose your image for maximum impact, creative vision and expression, and the study of light and shadow.
They will be your guides and instructors as you photograph locations and subjects such as:
- San Francisco De Asis Mission Church located at Rancho De Taos, where Ansel Adams photographed and Georgia O'Keeffe painted.
- One extremely popular and HDR photogenic location you will be photographing features both old and restored gas pumps, a few beautifully rusted old cars, old soda machines and other vintage Americana. This is where Matt photographed his "Frontier Gas Station" and where Christine photographed her "Packard" photographs.
- Part of the field workshop involves walking and photographing in and around the Santa Fe Plaza, home to countless galleries, artists, old adobe doors & windows, and the colorful Santa Fe street life.
- One "secret" location you will be photographing is this same classroom where Matt photographed his "1885 Schoolhouse" photograph.
Matt helps a student frame her composition in Santa Fe.
3-day field workshop outline:
Sept. 26 - Meet at a location in Santa Fe at 2 pm. Introductions, presentation & instruction, evening shoot.
Sept. 27 - Meet at a location in Santa Fe at 8 am. Photograph all day till sunset.
Sept. 28 - Meet at a location in Santa Fe at 8am. Photograph all day till 5pm.
2-Day Digital Darkroom Boot Camp
Limited to 30 students
Sept 29 - 30, 2012
Spend 2 full days in beautiful Santa Fe, New Mexico learning the ins and outs of Photoshop with professional photographers Christine Hauber and Matt Suess.
Watch on a larger projection screen as we go step-by-step throughout the process
of how we enhance and optimize our photographs.
In these 2 full days of classroom instruction you will learn:
- how to set up preferences of Photoshop & Elements
- learn what is the histogram, why it is important, and how to use it in the field and in photoshop
- learn why you should shoot in RAW and understand how much easier it makes image optimizing
- import and process RAW files using built in Camera Raw
- set correct color temperature
- adjust exposure, color, brightness, shadows, fix chromatic abberations, sharpening, and sizing of RAW files, and more
- learn tips and techniques for sharpening, removing dust spots, clone tool, noise removal, dodging and burning
- learn the importance of using layers and layer masks
- tips and how to stitch together multiple images for wide panoramas
- learn the basics of texture blending
- intro to learning how to use Photoshop plugins from Nik Software like Viveza 2 and Color Efex Pro 4 to quickly enhance and add creative adjustments to your photos
- learn how to process HDR images using Nik Softwares' new HDR Efex Pro 2 as well as Photomatix Pro
- learn how to process both natural and artistic HDR images
- intro to converting to b&w using Nik’s Silver Efex Pro 2
- printing basics for home printing
- optimizing for labs such as Bay Photo
- sizing photos for web or for print
- last hour of class devoted to you working on your own images from a “homework” assignment due prior to class. Christine and I will be available to help each student one-on-one at this time
After these 2 full days of learning you will become a wiz at taking care of common problems encountered with digital photography. Photoshop will not seem so daunting of a program. You will learn how to get the best color out of your photos and learn creative ways of enhancing and making your photography really stand out. And you will learn how to process your HDR photos using the two most popular software programs out there today.
Sept. 29 & 30 - Meet at a location in Santa Fe at 8:30am. Class runs from 9am to 5pm both days.
Photography Skill Level:
This class is intended for beginner to semi-advanced photographers. Basic knowledge of your camera and computer is needed.
How to Register:
To register and pay via phone, call Christine at 303-578-2787. All major credit cards are accepted or you can pay by check as well.
To register and pay online, click on the workshop link below that you wish to register for and register through our meetup.com workshop registration page.
3-day Field Workshop only - register here
$695 per student. Early bird register before Sept. 1 for just $595
limited to 8 total students
2-day digital darkroom boot camp only - register here
$295 per student. Early bird register before Sept. 1 for just $195
limited to 30 total students
Both the 3-day Field Workshop and 2-day digital darkroom boot camp - register here
$990 per student. Early bird register before Sept. 1 for just $745
field workshop limited to 8, darkroom boot camp limited to 30 students
The field portions of this workshop will take place at various locations between Santa Fe and Taos, New Mexico. The classroom portion of this workshop on Saturday and Sunday will be located in Santa Fe.
Suggestions on what to bring:
You will need your own transportation during the 3 days. On the photography field days expect us to end up driving a couple hundred miles. Four wheel drive is not needed. Light walking is involved, and be aware of the elevation as we will be at 7,000' to 8,400' during the 3 days.
It is recommended that you bring your own laptop with photoshop, and software from Nik Software (you can download a 15 day trial version here). If you do not have the software you can still learn by watching and taking notes. Having the software, however, will allow you to follow us step by step on your own computer. We will take a one hour lunch break around noon each day. Remember to bring a lunch, snacks, and water / softdrinks.
More info on what to bring will be provided closer to the workshop date.
About Matt Suess:
I began my professional photography career in 1990 and for the next 17 years worked as an award-winning photojournalist, having my work published worldwide. I am a digital pioneer, working with digital imaging since the early 1990's and helped implement and teach digital image processing to fellow newspaper staff photographers in the late 90's and early 2000's. For the last 5 years I have been a full-time artist selling my artwork at fine art festivals throughout the Southwest, with collectors investing in my artwork Worldwide.
About Christine Hauber:
Christine began her professional photography career in 1993. A graduate of the Art Institute of Colorado and the University of Colorado, her photographs have been shown in galleries nationally and showcased in B&W and Photo Technique Magazine. The author of the book Working in the USA, Christine has been the subject of several television programs, including the Fine Living Channel's Radical Sabbatical and CNN's NewsNight with Aaron Brown and interviewed for such internet and podcast programs as the Candid Frame and Photo Talk Radio. She has been selling her artwork as a full-time artist for the last 5 years. Her website is ChristineHauber.com
The fine print:
- Registration is on a first come, first serve basis. Payment is due in full at time of registration and is non-refundable. If you cancel participation in this workshop your fees may be transferred towards another workshop at our discretion only.
- Liability Limitation: Christine Hauber and Matt Suess aim to provide a safe, educational and enjoyable experience. We assume no liability for any act, error, omission, injury, loss, delay, mishap, or damage to persons or property arising from any cause during the course of the workshop or in transit thereto. We can accept no responsibility for losses or additional expenses due to delay or changes in the services to be provided. We reserve the right to change our arrangements should conditions necessitate, or to cancel any aspect of the workshop due to exceptional circumstances. In the event that we deem it necessary to cancel the workshop we will provide a full refund which the participant(s) acknowledges as full and final settlement. In the event of a workshop cancellation airline tickets, car rentals and hotel reservations associated with participation in this workshop will not be refunded. We recommend you purchase refundable airline tickets and make refundable car and hotel reservations. We also recommend you carry travel and camera equipment insurance.
- By participating in this workshop you acknowledge that you have read the information concerning responsibility and release Christine Hauber, Matt Suess, their guides, instructors and any cooperating agent from any liability. Christine Hauber and Matt Suess will assume no liability for injury, illness, or loss of personal property or expenses thereof associated with workshop participation. You also acknowledge that Christine Hauber and Matt Suess have the right to refuse service to anyone at anytime and that these policies are subject to change at any time.